- Choose a serum over a cream (for better delivery)
- Vitamin C should be stored in a dark, air tight container (pump bottles are great)
- Clear in colour (yellow in colour can mean the product has oxidized)
Most vitamin C products on the market range from 5% (considered fairly weak) to 20%. The pH of a vitamin C product will also determine its effectiveness. Vitamin C has to be formulated around a pH of 3 for it to be able to pass through your skin barrier and be used by your skin.
Don’t forget to top up your vitamin C from foods such as these which contain the most: Capsicum, Papaya, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Pineapple.
Please note, some people may find vitamin C slightly irritating, especially the form Ascorbic acid. Other forms listed below may be more suited for reactive/compromised skin:
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
- Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate)